Choosing A Mover
The process of finding a good mover can be nerve wrecking, but doing a little research is worth the time. Here are the “Must-Do’s” before choosing a mover:
- Check with the Better Business Bureau
- Ask friends, family, co-workers about recommending someone.
- If moving local or long distance within Louisiana – check with the Louisiana Public Service Commission to see if a particular mover has an LPSC#.
- All regulated movers, by law, must have a physical street address.
- Has the company sent someone to your home and performed an in-home survey?
- Were you given a written estimate?
- Does the company offer Full Replacement Cost Valuation?
- How long has the company been in business?
- Visit https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ to protect your long distance move.
- If you are moving out of the state:
- Get a written estimate
- Make sure the mover is registered with the FMCSA
- Check the mover’s complaint history
- Remember that choosing a mover based on the lowest price is not always best
- Do your homework and read “Your Rights & Responsibilities When You Move” booklet.
- All long distance movers must have a MC & USDOT #.